The president of the Ghana Medical Association (GMA), Dr Frank Ankobea says it is true the association has suspended the intended withdrawal of services.
According to Dr Ankobea, the decision comes as a result of government’s commitment to address their concerns after a meeting between the association and government.
Speaking to Kwami Sefa Kayi on Peace FM’s Kokrokoo morning show on Monday, August 6, 2018 he said: “We were called by government to meet and we discussed our concerns, and we’ve seen the government’s commitment. We’ve had several meetings with government, we even had a meeting in November last year….. but this one we’re thinking it’s different, we’re beginning to believe government is showing commitment.”
Dr Ankobea stated that if it is ‘true’ that government is showing commitment, then they have no objection suspending the intended strike action.
“In the first place, we indicated that we’re not happy for our planned decision. We don’t want Ghanaians to suffer, we don’t want all of us to go through trauma and suffer. So, as the government is showing commitment, we also had to negotiate……” he explained.
According to Dr Ankobea negotiations with government have started and he believes it will end well, hence the suspension of the strike action.
He appealed to the media to also use their platforms to reinforce their concerns to government to address them to avoid future strike actions by the GMA.
By O. Y. Addofoh|Theprobegh.com|Ghana